Friday, January 28, 2005

Welcome Home, 172nd!

For ten years, I served as a member of the Army Reserve and the Army National Guard. My final year of service was with the NH National Guard's 172nd Field Artillery. Thus, you can understand why I am breathing a deep sigh of relief now that the 172nd is back on American soil.

Regardless of your feelings about the war in Iraq, I hope that you will recognize that the men and women serving overseas have performed their duties with courage and professionalism.

Many of us in NH have had many a nervous moment over the last year. We have friends, neighbors and family members (in my case, all of the above) serving in a dangerous place. We have prayed for their safe return; now, it appears that we have cause to be relieved and grateful.

I don't know if they will have a chance to read this, but let me offer a salute to SFC David Beecher, PFC Corey Finnigan, and my former partners in crime at the Milford Armory. Well done, and welcome home.

A formal homecoming is being planned for next week; the initial word is that it will occur on Wednesday at the State Armory in Manchester. As soon as I receive concrete info, I will be sure to pass word along.